Disclaimer: Eveswatch.com is reader-supported, meaning that I may include affiliate links in my articles for which I may receive compensation without any additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The hard-hitting John Wick movies have become one of the most successful neo-noir action series. Thanks in large part to Keanu Reeves’ performance in the series.
It’s no surprise that viewers notice the watch the main character was wearing – whether it’s a personal choice by the actor, a decision by the wardrobe person or the prop master, or an intentionally placed marketing technique.
So, if you’re curious about what watch John Wick wears in the series, keep reading. You might be surprised that Reeve’s favorite watch brand is even unknown to the average person.
So, What Watch Does John Wick Wear?
Carl F. Bucherer Manero Autodate (Up Close)
John Wick’s wrist ornament is the Carl F. Bucherer Manero Autodate, a Swiss timepiece that retails for around $2,600. This brand is known for its jewelry-grade decorative element and delicate complications.
The luxury timepiece is a 42-millimeter watch with a black alligator leather strap, which matches the actor’s black leather attire. Although the retail price may seem exaggerated, you can ensure that the watch comes with a highly accurate movement and is durable.
The Carl F. Bucherer Manero Autodate is designed with a CFB 1965 caliber, providing accuracy that matches the actor’s synchronicity. A downside, perhaps, is that the Manero Autodate is only water resistant up to 30 meters.
Such a water resistance rating is only enough to handle occasional rain showers, puddle splashing as you ride your bike or standard handwashing. It can’t be submerged underwater, which may be an inconvenience for an individual that gets into underwater gun fights.
Why the Carl F. Bucherer Manero watch is as classy as Keanu Reeves himself
Nevertheless, the timepiece itself is as elegant as the actor himself. Classic dress watches inspired the Carl F. Bucherer Manero Autodate during the 1960s, the same decade when the Ford Mustang was officially unveiled to the public.
The John Wick watch is only 8.75-millimeter thick (meaning it’s a thin watch compared to standard watches). It’s a three-hand model that displays the time and date. The mechanism can be admired through its transparent case back, while the elegant white dial features silver-tone luminescent hands and index hour markers.
Overall, the Carl F. Bucherer Manero Autodate is a reliable timepiece. And the way it was presented in the movie never felt like a forced advertisement or a heavy-handed product placement. Instead, it was creatively incorporated into the story, like how John Wick checks the time during his fight scenes.
Carl F. Bucherer Manero Peripheral
As for the watch Halle Berry was wearing in John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, it was the more elegant Carl F. Bucherer Manero Peripheral with 60 diamonds on the bezel, an in-house automatic CFB A2050 (a reliable automatic caliber), and a 40-millimeter stainless steel case.
It’s more expensive than John Wick’s watch. Coming at a $9,700 retail price, the Manero Peripheral is a unique timepiece that will get noticed. Its distinguishing features are the small second-hand sundial, a domed sapphire crystal, and a three o’clock date display. These designs are a nod to the 1960s vintage timepieces.
The Bucherer watches in the John Wick films were made possible because of the product placement deal with the brand. Carl F. Bucherer is one of the few remaining Swiss watch manufacturers still owned by the founding family. Additionally, the brand is known for its minimalist designs.
Related: Best Watch Investment Under 5000
How John Wick Wears These Watches
A unique thing you may have noticed is that Reeves wore these watches on the inside of his wrist. Many assume that the actor wore it that way to avoid breaking during his action scenes. However, wearing it upside down is typical in the military for these reasons:
1. It’s easier to read time while aiming with your weapon and;
2. It reduces the crystal glare, which may compromise your position.
Best Alternatives to John Wick’s Watch
- Orient Bambino – This classy watch has a strap similar to John Wick’s watch. It is clean, unique, and simple. It even comes in three white dial versions with rose gold, gold, and silver cases. There’s also a black dial with a rose gold or silver case.
- Seiko Presage Cocktail Time – The minimalist look of the Seiko Presage Cocktail Time makes it a worthy alternative to John Wick’s watch. Its slim markers look like the stem of a cocktail glass, thus the name of this timepiece. You can wear it both for casual and business events.
- Vincero Kairo – Crafted for the modern man, this 42-millimeter watch is powered by a Citizen Miyota Quartz movement and features top-grain Italian leather. At the core of this timepiece is the innovative belief that the wearer deserves the best so that they feel and look unstoppable. Engraved on the case back is the motto, “Live your legacy.” The material used in the case back is Italian marble.
- Rossling & Co. Regatta – This fine timepiece looks the same as the watch you’ve seen in John Wick movies. It has a beautiful minimalist white watch dial, a silver case, and signature blue hands. A unique feature of this watch is the date window at the three o’clock position. It also has a sophisticated ink black strap like the Carl. F. Bucherer with other strap options available.
- Komono The Walther Tobacco – Another worthy watch on the list is Walther Tobacco. Komono kept a clean watch face with little elements to give this model some nice dimension and depth. The unique features and luxury gold case give this timepiece a premium feel.
- Daniel Wellington St. Mawes Stainless Steel – Just like the minimalist chic look in other Daniel Wellington watches, this St. Mawes stainless steel case watch reiterates the classic simplicity of the brand. It has gold hands and indices and an off-white dial. You can also go for the black dial, which is just as stunning as the white one. Indeed, you can’t go wrong with this model.
Related: Best Watches For Navy Suits
The choice of watch says a lot about the wearer. That’s why getting the right watch for each movie character is essential. And what the John Wick team wanted was a wardrobe that looked clean and classic but with a twist.
That’s why Keanu Reeves agreed that the Carl F. Bucherer Manero Autodate is a watch that his character would wear. It’s on point, just like how he portrays his character with absolute class.
The classic design of the Manero Autodate emphasizes functionality and presents essentials at a glance: the date at three o’clock, the current time, mechanical sophistication, and elegant simplicity. It is action-ready, reliable for the role that Keanu Reeves played, and most importantly, noteworthy to appear on the screen.
If you like this article, you might want to read similar posts at EvesWatch.com.
My name is Eve Acosta and I’m the person behind this site. Watches are what get me ticking ;).
No, but seriously, I just love watches, I have over 30 myself. It’s an obsession of mine, which is why my husband recommended me to put my hobby into some good use and build this site – so I did.
My passion for timepieces came from the fact that my parents own a small chain of shops selling timepieces. I’ve worked at the shop since I was 11 and fell in love with the merchandise.